Sally Ride Science Camps For Girls (Overnight Program w/ Commuter Option)
Sally Ride Science Camp (Overnight Program w/Commuter Option) offers 4th-9th grade girls with a passion for science the opportunity to live, learn and make lifelong friends on the campuses of UC Berkeley, UC San Diego and Stanford. These programs feature a 6 day, 5 night schedule, with classes from approximately 9am to 5pm each day. Students participate in morning labs, tailored to a science major of their choice, afternoon activities related to science (such as chemistry, physics and forensic labs), and a wide variety of evening activities and games.
- Intro to Marine Science: Students will experiment with the physical and chemical properties of water, explore major marine ecosystems and phyla, and dissect a fish!
- Intro to Engineering: Students will learn the basic principles of physics and design while building bridges, towers, hovercrafts and automobiles that must survive performance trials and unexpected obstacles. (Note: This Major not offered at the UC Berkeley session)
6th - 7th Grade Campers
- Marine Biology: Students will investigate animal adaptations in a creative creature project, dissect a fish, learn how temperature and salinity create ocean currents and create an “oil spill” to see how human actions impact the planet.
- Astronomy: Students will simulate the big bang theory, study the surface of the sun and measure its diameter, explore light diffraction and build their own water rockets!
- Advanced Marine Science: Students explore innovative ways to remedy the human imprint on aquatic ecosystems, particularly as it relates to climate change, conservation, pollution and sustainability. Students will also dissect a fish AND do all of the above!
- Robotics: Students will explore the emerging science of robot mechanics by building a robot from scratch, remotely control it, experiment with light and pressure sensors, create drive trains for varying terrains and play robotic sports. (Note: This Major not offered at the UC Berkeley session)
* Tentative and Subject to Change
|Jun 23rd - Jun 28th||5th - 8th||UC Berkeley||$1,325.00 – $1,895.00|
|Jul 14th - Jul 19th||6th & 7th||UC San Diego||$1,325.00 – $1,895.00|
|Jul 14th - Jul 19th||8th & 9th||UC San Diego||$1,550.00 – $2,095.00|
|Jul 28th - Aug 2nd||4th & 5th||Stanford University||$1,325.00 – $1,895.00|
|Jul 28th - Aug 2nd||6th & 7th||Stanford University||$1,325.00 – $1,895.00|
|Jul 28th - Aug 2nd||8th & 9th||Stanford University||$1,550.00 – $2,095.00|