Summer Focus at Berkeley
Summer Focus at UC Berkeley - Summer Session for high school students
Summer Focus summer study at UC Berkeley is a comprehensive 6-week or 8-week pre-college summer program offered for high school students in a rare public-private partnership between Education Unlimited® and UC Berkeley Summer Sessions. Summer Focus pre-college camp for high school students at UC Berkeley is designed to provide a small-group learning environment for talented and motivated high school students who want to experience college life. Student attend an actual UC Berkeley Summer Sessions class, receive support from our Education Unlimited program staff, tutoring as necessary, go on excursions in the San Francisco Bay Area and have fun learning with other high schools students from around the United States and from other countries.
UC Berkeley Courses, EU Enrichment Classes and UC Berkeley Workshops
Summer Focus students have the opportunity to experience each of the following:
- UC Berkeley Summer Sessions Classes: Students may choose from hundreds of UC Berkeley Summer Sessions Classes. Students may enroll in up to two lower-division UC Berkeley Session C (8-weeks) or Session D (6-weeks). Courses are 3 or 4 units each and students will earn an official UC Berkeley transcript showing their transferable college credit. Education Unlimited has prepared a list of courses which we suggest for students in our Summer Focus program. Please visit our Summer Focus suggested courses page for more information about specific courses. These are only suggestions, however, and other courses in UC Berkeley’s Session C or D may be available. Please contact us if you do not see the course you are looking for.
- EU Enrichment Classes: In addition to their UC Berkley courses, Summer Focus students participate in Education Unlimited enrichment courses. These are afternoon classes designed to offer additional educational opportunities such as SAT Test Prep or College-Level Writing, as well as fun learning adventures such as a Literary Tour of the Bay Area, or Creative Writing and Illustration. Enrichment courses are designed to compliment the student's overall Summer Focus at UC Berkeley experience and offer a much more memorable experience than regular summer school classes. Some Summer Focus electives require an additional fee that is not included in the standard camp tuition. However, in each elective block, there will be at least one elective choice which requires no additional fee.
- UC Berkeley Summer Sessions Workshops: Also included in the tuition price is access to UC Berkeley’s special Summer Sessions Workshops. This summer’s offerings include: College 101: How to Survive College!; Prepping for and Writing College Applications; Treasures of UC Berkley: Library Online; Play Hard by Learning to Study Easy; How to Find Money for College; Choosing a College That Best Suits You and When I Grow Up… Career Series Part IV: The Big Interview. All of these workshops are offered to Summer Session Students at no additional charge.
Summer Focus Fun!
Summer Focus is pre-college preparation for high school students but is designed so participants not only learn a lot, but also enjoy a true college experience! Summer Focus usually attracts a number of study abroad students from foreign countries looking for summer study and pre-college enrichment in Berkeley, bringing a strong cultural exchange experience to the program. In addition to excellent academics, Summer Focus offers a great social environment and exciting recreational activities. Students have the opportunity to explore the vibrant and culturally rich city of Berkeley, including Telegraph Avenue and other areas surrounding the campus. We also dine out in Berkeley occasionally, enjoy films in the dorms and around town, and visit local cultural attractions.
Summer Focus students swim at Strawberry Canyon, play basketball at the Golden Bear Recreation Center, study over espresso in local coffee houses, and generally have a chance to experience life as a Cal undergraduate. Students also take great weekend excursions such as trips to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, trips to San Francisco and the Santa Cruz Board Walk and tours of Google Headquarters.
Program Requirements and how to Enroll:
- Enrollment in the Summer Focus program is restricted to:
- Rising high school juniors and seniors.
- Students with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Students who can demonstrate strong English skills
- Registering is as easy as 1, 2, 3…
1. Submit an application by clicking “Apply Now” above or emailing us and pay a program deposit on $1495 to reserve your spot.
2. Submit your enrollment paperwork:
- A copy of the students most recent school transcripts
- A writing sample in the form of a letter of interest, written by the student, no more than 500 words, covering the following:
- What in your academic background (AP classes, test results, classroom participation, study habits, etc.) prepares you to participate in this program?
- How will you benefit from this program? i.e., how will it prepare you for future career plans, leadership opportunities, etc.?
- Please tell us something else about yourself that helps balance your academic life
- If for any reason your application is not accepted your deposit will be returned in full. You may also submit your enrollment paperwork before applying and be pre-approved.
3. Select your courses, sign the medical release/rules form and pay the remainder of your tuition.
Education Unlimited will take care of all your registration, enrollment, housing and meals arrangements.
Please note, for international Summer Focus students who enroll in a full-time course load, Education Unlimited will assist and facilitate the submission of the documents that UC Berkeley requires to issue an I20, however, the final responsibility lies with the student and his/her family to comply with all requirements and deadlines. More information about visa requirements can be found on the UC Berkeley International Office website.
The EU Advantage The Education Unlimited® Headquarters is located in the heart of Berkeley, allowing us to maintain strong ties to the city, campus, and the greater Bay Area. The tuition for our six-week Summer Focus program, includes:
- Support from our administrative offices -- located just blocks from UC Berkeley
- UC Berkeley tuition fees
- Room & Board on the UC Berkeley campus
- All recreational excursions
- Enrichment courses and workshops included
- Personalized instructional support and tutoring from our staff
- Our staff lives in the residence halls with you and is available 24/7
- ALL summer 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 participants who completed the program said they would recommend the program to other students, and most rated the program 9/10 or 10/10 in overall program quality.
- Great student staff ratios with the summer 2013 program averaging one on-site staff member for every 5 participants.
To Learn More...
Summer Focus at Berkeley is commonly known as a 'pre-college summer program' or 'summer study program,' but what you need to know is that this program effectively combines learning with summer adventures and excursions, so that you truly get a feel for college before having to make the important decision of what college to choose. Please contact our Director of Admissions for a course listing and any additional questions you may have at email@example.com or by calling 510-548-6612.
Summer Focus at Berkeley - Staff Profiles
Staff are typically subject matter experts and experienced teachers. Staff assignments vary by program and all staff are held to the highest possible standards. Some of our recent staff members for this program include:
A native of Boston, Sean attended Massachusetts Maritime Academy, where he spent two years at sea traveling the world. Sean desired a sea change and moved to California where he graduated with an honors degree in History from the University of California, Irvine. He has worked as a teacher, tutor and mentor for over ten years working at...
Born and raised in Southern California, Cara traveled to the East Coast for college at Harvard University. While at Harvard, Cara played softball and worked at the university library before graduating with a degree in Psychology. Eager to see the world, Cara then enrolled at the University of Sydney in Australia where she lived for a year and...
Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, Sophie graduated from the University of California, Berkeley, with a Chemistry and Molecular Cellular Biology double major. She is an experienced academic and test prep tutor for students ranging from middle school to university level and last year, volunteered as a Clinical Assistant in the...
Isabella was born and raised in Southern California and earned a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology and Media Studies from the University of California, Berkeley. She is currently serving in a middle school in Brooklyn as an AmeriCorps Member with City Year New York. While at Cal, she found that her true passion lies in working with young people,...
We will continue to add additional staff members as enrollment and availability dictate. Details are posted on additional staff members as they are confirmed.